These are the best vegan oatmeal cookies I have tried! I have tried a lot of recipes, but this one yielded, hands down, the tastiest one with the best texture. So yummy! :) I came across it on VegWeb, but as I can no longer seem to find it there, I can't credit the author (so sorry). I have a tendency to add variations or make changes while I am writing a recipe down, so who knows what it looked like before that. ;)
I suggest making them the first time exactly like the recipe if you can, then next time trying any variations. A number of times I have substituted applesauce for half of the butter, but the cookies end up not spreading correctly and have turned out very crumbly, breaking apart easily. Using just a little less butter has turned out well, though. There are probably other fat replacements that would lead to better results (banana or tofu?)
Cinnamon is one thing I would add to this recipe- I have put in up to a full teaspoon and ended up with excellent flavor. Adding some semi-sweet chocolate chips or a small handful of nuts is a tasty variation, too! Enjoy!
Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (makes 2 dozen)
Oven to 350 F
1/2c non-dairy margarine (NOT melted)
1/2c firmly-packed brown sugar
1/4c granulated sugar
1 1/2 t Egg Replacer mixed with 2 T water
1/2 t vanilla
3/4c whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/8 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 1/2c rolled oats
1) Cream butter with both sugars in a mixing bowl.
2) Add vanilla and Egg Replacer mixture.
3) Add rest of ingredients slowly to avoid overload in mixer.
4) Add a dash of non-dairy milk, if necessary. Batter will be very thick and sticky, but not dry.
5) Bake 10-12 minutes, and allow to cool a few minutes on cookie sheet.
6) Transfer cookies to wire rack to finish cooling.